Friday, October 3, 2014

A Great Read!

  Another whirlwind week has gone by! Here's what's been going on:

Favorite Pet:  The Cat Who Tried To be My Pet...


       This is a very similar picture to the cat the kept trying to be my pet, near my office.  As many of you know, I'm not a "Cat" person. I'm not even a small dog person (generally)... It's Big Dogs for me, all the way... but I can say that this cat warmed my heart. It was super- sweet. The first time I saw it, it was just sitting in the parking lot. When it saw me, it just started walking towards me. I thought it was going to walk behind me, because most cats don't just walk right up to you... but as I turned, it turned... So, I shewed it away-- because again, I don't really like domestic cats (Wild cats are my thing)... All I could think of was this MEME, and that this was "the beginning!" ha ha


  I won't be 40yrs old for some time, but that was the frightening image in my head, ha ha ha... So, I saw it every now & again. one night, after a particularly late meeting, some of the boys from the Youth Council that I work with, were playing with it. It just rolled over & pounced & let the kids play with it for at least a good half hour, before we left.  We wanted to find it a home, because clearly it had been someone's pet at one point. It was highly domesticated.  But sadly, this little black & charcoal beauty was hit by a car. I saw it near my office, and I teared up-- which was a strange feeling. It wasn't my cat, I don't like cats, but it was just so sweet.  I only wish we had more time to find it a good home. Rest in Peace, Little Kitty!  
     

Favorite Movie:  Schindler's List 

    
          From time to time, I love watching movies I've already seen, that had a profound impact on me, in the past. I'm interested in the Holocaust, and have been for several years. I have an affinity for certain cultures, and the Jewish Culture happens to be one of them.  I remember being moved by Schindler's List when I was a teenager, but I couldn't remember who Schindler was, or if he was a good person, bad, or indifferent.  I remembered crying, but I didn't remember if it was a good reason or a bad reason.  So, I watched it again, and [because of other documentaries I've followed] I was able to grasp the full impact of what  Oskar Schindler did. The man was actually a Nazi sympathizer on all Nazi politics, aside from the race superiority aspect.  He wasn't really involved with the politics of the war, until he saw it as a business opportunity... That was what he originally set out to do; Get rich off of the war... But fortunately, to a lot of people, this was not his ultimate purpose. This one man was able to spare aproximately 1,200 Jews from Plaszow, Auschwitz & other Concentration camps..  What a great contribution, when about 6 MILLION Jews were slaughtered as a result of the Holocaust. What a great movie! 

*** SIDENOTE:*** Speaking of the Holocaust, I am not so naive to see the irony in what's happening overseas with ISIS.  Christians & Jews right now, in 2014, are being beheaded for their faith. Sure, this has periodically gone on for centuries, but it is more evident how prominent it has been recently. Please remember to pray for healing. Pray for justice... Pray for a cease to all the senseless killings. Many would agree that these are just more "signs of the end times"... But of course, this has been said over and over again for decades, as well. The best thing we can do is pray, stand firm on our beliefs & support our armed forces.  

Favorite Event: My Housewarming Party!!!



     So, I had my Housewarming Party Last weekend! Probably much to the chagrin of my downstairs neighbors, who weren't invited (ha ha) but it was so much fun! I'm so blessed to have such great friends and family, to show up and support the move! We had lots of food & drinks, and really enjoyed ourselves.  So, it's official! I'm moved in! I still need a few more pieces, but overall I'm loving life at my new place!

Favorite Concept:  Diversify!!!



    There was a moment that happened for me today, that really caused me to appreciate my thirst for diversity.  I thrive on it... So, when I came across a situation of something so basic today, something purely and utterly ignorant, I was dumbfounded.  I say "ignorant" in the truest form, not in a condescending way... but regardless, it was truly disturbing to me.  It was almost as if these folks were telling me they didn't know Michael Jackson was in The Jackson Five! Yeah- it was that jarring.  But it really made me appreciate that I live a life with varied interests and cultures. I don't hide in my bubble. I Branch Out! Even though, at times I can be a bit reclusive, I branch out & diversify through books, documentaries, and being truly interested in how others live their lives.  I have friends of all different ages, cultures, religions, ethnicity and economical backgrounds... I know people who have used drugs in the past & have struggled on and off for years; I have friends who grew up in church their entire life and never have gotten as much as a detention in middle school... I have friends who have been to prison, and friends who grew up in church their entire life and went to prison, lol (for example).  I don't live a sheltered existence, any more than I submerge myself into any one cause or culture. There's so much more in the world than the tiny little space you create for yourself. Being able to relate to others on their level is an invaluable asset in human growth.  I encourage you to diversify your life, when you can! Get some flavor! There's nothing better than knowing a little bit about people & things outside of your own "Bubble"... It's growth & power!


Favorite Read: (sort of)... lol Orange is the New Black


     I picked up this book, to try and become familiar w/the Characters, since I don't have Netflix, and it's going to be awhile before I can borrow the DVDs, (Long Library Waiting List)... I read it in 2 nights. I probably could've finished it in one night, but my eyes were tired. The book held my interest for most of the book & was pretty well written. It shed a light on the injustice of the justice system, and the responsibility we all have to take for our actions. I wish I could empathize w/Piper... but eventually, it just got annoying to read about all the "breaks" she got from our racially biased law system--These are her words-- not mine. As a Black American, I can only empathize so much before her "Free Passes" for being White, Blonde & Blue Eyed and "Middle Class", gets infuriating. It was somewhat comforting to know that at least she recognized it, but annoying that (especially near the end) she seemed to basically make it through by a bunch of other people holding her hand through the process-- Besides learning Yoga & running, she doesn't do much to try and do her time well. She really just attaches herself to people who seemed to be endeared to her, yet I don't see where she really gives back to them-- besides her blip of ghost writing/cheating papers for Mrs. Jones. I guess that's the hardest thing for me to deal with. She seems to have taken so much from the experience, and not given much back... Had she had real things to worry about afterwards (like where she was going live, what kind of job would accept her, how she would rebuild her life...) maybe her outlook on her experience may have been different...

     I hope that now that she seems to be making a profit off of her "experience" and these women's lives, that she's doing something to maybe get them better legal aid or education-- Or at least putting money on their Commissary. I don't believe that everyone in prison deserves to get out- but I do believe that a lot of folks are incarcerated for very long terms, while people like Piper Kerman  (and this just in, ahem, Theresa Guidice w/her little 15mos sentence...) get a slap on the wrist then get out to make millions. The book seemed to be different than what I've been hearing about the Netflix series... But I'm still eager to see it. I gave the book 4 Stars because it's very well written and was interesting.


Favorite Audio Book:     The Night Circus

 (Actually My favorite Read this week, lol- Had to find a way to finagle 2!)


    I actually listened to The Night Circus on Audio, and aside from the narrator's quirky voice & style, it was a really intriguing book! Sometimes I get into books on CD, because I can do other things (Like preparing for my Housewarming party) while I listen.  This was a mystical story about two performing artists who end up competing against each other in a test of the skills & endurance.  Neither one of them really knows the rules, because they were destined to be opponents at very young ages and their benefactors aren't very forthcoming with the information.  They only know they've been taught extraordinary talents that are masked by the guise of The Night Circus... The Night Circus does things differently than other circuses. For one, it starts at dusk and doesn't stop until dawn.  The have dinner at Midnight, every night...The patrons find it to be the most amazing circus they've ever seen, with feats & magic they can't explain.  There are so many components to this story, that it's definitely a must-read... (or must-listen!) 


 Favorite Laugh:  Zaydee Dopleganger!


     I saw this meme online, and pretty much died laughing! This is not actually my friend Meghan's daughter, Zaydee but this is so much of something she'd do! She's cute with those spiky little pigtails, but is just as feisty as you can imagine! With the little pacifier in her mouth ta boot! I love when memes remind you of someone! 

Everyone have a great weekend! I'm going to a costume party! I hope it turns out well! I think It's gonna be Litchenstein Pop Art Comic for me, this year! It's not exactly an "Original" idea, but it's super-cool & easy to pull off if you have a steady hand for make-up



XOXO!
   Tiffani


No comments:

Post a Comment