Friday, August 2, 2013

Let's Get Comfortable!

     It's weeks like this that make me stop and remember to take in the little moments. "Nothing" much happened this week, but I do know that I've had a lot of laughs, a lot of enjoyment doing things I love to do. So, without further hesitation...

Favorite Movie:  Side Effects


       I liked this movie a lot more than expected. This was another one of my Free Redbox deals, and I'm so happy I went with my instinct and rented it!  For one, the entire movie is full of suspense, mystery & intrigue. 
There is an eerie feeling throughout the movie, that you can't pin-point, until about 3/4ths the way through. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to see it, but the twists & turns make it an enjoyable movie to watch.  And of course, it has eye candy like Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones & Rooney Mara.  I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. Make sure you check it out!

Favorite Laugh:  Get In Shape Girl! 


   I love #TBT (Throw Back Thursdays) on Facebook!  This week, I featured the Get in Shape Girl exercise equipment that my sisters & I used to have... and how I used to fill my hand weights with Kool-Aid (instead of water...SMH), so I could drink Kool-Aid to refuel... Really, Tiff? Defeating the purpose since 1987, folks! lol 


Favorite Pastime:  Vegging Out in front of a Harry Potter Marathon

    
   So, I watched the entire marathon of Harry Potter (except for Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Pt. 2)... and I really enjoyed it.  It was the first time I had seen Harry Potter. I saw one, when they were all the rage, but you guys know that if anything is too hyped up, I don't like to check it out, until after all the hoopla has worn down.  I also enjoyed seeing the characters grow from kids to adults.  I'm still trying to see where I can pick up Deathly Hollows 2- I have to know how it ends! Nonetheless, it was a great thing to do on a lazy rainy weekend! 

Favorite Food: Steak & Cheese Eggs


   This week, I have been craving steak & cheese eggs... I don't even know... but two of my favorite things you CANNOT go wrong! :) 

Favorite Music:  Amy Winehouse


      So today, I got a little melancholy over my girl, Amy, like I do from time to time. I always think of what great music the world is missing out on, now that she's gone.  Ok, so she wasn't the best role model... but she was an amazing performer.  Her voice was so sultry, like a true jazz & blues singer in that familiar smokey hole-in-the-wall pub at the end of the road. Amy was like an old friend to me. Her music got me through some really hard times in my life.  There was something about her signature; the irony between choice of music & lyrics.  There were plenty of songs that you could sing along to that seemed kind of happy & upbeat, but when you learn the lyrics, you realize the song is anything but... But isn't life a lot like that at times?  Sometimes we have to put on a brave face, when our lives are falling apart.  I like this picture... sure, she's rolling a joint, lol.. but there's an endearing quality about this picture to me... She just seems like a typical around-the-way-type girl, although she was anything but... You know? Like, "Just on her phone, in the kitchen, rolling a joint...whatever", lol.  I guess my craving for Ms. Winehouse's talent was a trickle down effect from my next blog feature...

Favorite Pet Peeve:  Lack of Creativity in Music these days... 


     So what do these three albums have in common??? I'll tell you... They all feature the SAME song on the track list. "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson, 1983, "Right Here" by SWV 1992, "She Ain't You" by Chris Brown 2011...  Oh, none of them are named the same thing, none of them have the same lyrics, but the instrumental part is almost identical.  Each one has tweaked the musical arrangement just a little... but ultimately, it's the same song. Now, I love all 3 versions, but it just made me really yearn for artists like Amy Winehouse, who came up with purely original work.  No, not to say she hasn't sang a cover or two... But she had so much originality in her stuff, that it's obvious when something she's singing isn't her's-- and it's more welcomed & appreciated, because it seems like it's more of an homage to the original artists... Amy sings tons of things by Donny Hathaway... but it's obvious it's just because she likes the music... Something about what people do now cheapens it.  It's almost like they're trying to pass it off as their own.  In a time where the music industry has cranked out gimmick artist after gimmick artist, it makes me yearn for REAL music.  Amy Winehouse only had 3 albums total (with her last one "Lioness" being released after her death), Lauryn Hill only has 2, and Donny Hathaway has 3 plus one with Roberta Flack... It makes you wonder about these artists that have a new album out every week.  The greats have only had a handful, and their stuff stays in my rotation.  

(DISCLAIMIER:  Michael Jackson is listed here as the "original"- not the knock off, lol)

Favorite Excitement:  Boyz II Men, NKOTB, 98 Degrees Concert!



   I'm so excited to be able to attend the Boyz II Men, New Kids on the Block & 98Degrees concert tomorrow!  Judy Dale, Destiny & I will be reliving some of our favorite childhood & adolescent moments!  There's nothing like a bit of nostalgia!  Boyz II Men broke my heart when they stopped releasing music.  They were the epitome of cool, growing up!  They were so cool, that there is not one person who watched Full House on TGIF, that doesn't remember the slammin' performance Stephanie Tanner did to Motown Philly!  And New Kids on the Block... I used to be in love with Jordan Knight... Looking back, I have no idea why, especially since seeing him on reality tv, and realizing he is a total douche bag, as an adult... and everyone knows 98 degrees didn't get the hype they deserve.  They were truly talented, but because they weren't as "trendy"& young or blonde as N'Sync and Backstreet Boys, they seemed to have been somewhat overlooked. I'm not ashamed to say it, but their Christmas CD is pretty much the only one I listen to, lol. More than anything, I'll be happy to spend another special, memory-making night with my girls! Love them! 

  I hope you enjoy your weekend!  Let me know what you're doing! I'd love to see what's up with you! 

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, I'm a little jealous you went to the concert. I loved the NKOTB-BSB concert, it was amazing! Hope you had a FABULOUS time!

    ReplyDelete